Sunday, August 5, 2012

Vintage Wedding Lamp Makeovers

So as I stated previously, my son is getting married in October.  We will be having a reception in our church cultural hall, a.k.a. the gym.  This leaves alot to be desired for atmosphere with flourescent lighting (along with making me LOOK like the mother) but hey it is free!  So my job, if I choose to accept it (I did), is to bring in softer lighting so we don't see all my wrinkles.  So off to the thrift stores...ALOT!  Looking for lamps and chandeliers in need of vintage makeovers.  Here are the lamp makeovers (the chandeliers still to come...Hey they need a post all to themselves!)
I found these 2 lamps on different trips (don't have before pictures) for $4 each. 
  
I added the beads and crystals with fishing line... 


...bought old lampshades for 2 bucks each and tore them apart just for the top wire contraptions.  I added the lace that I found on ebay (12 yards for $20 which included shipping, used about 3 yards) and some bulbs. The lace needs to be steamed but I will do that later.

It killed me to spend $6 on this little thing but I saw the potential (again no before picture...I KNOW!) 

I took my Crop-o-dile and punched holes in the metal tray (yes they do punch a hole through practically anything) and added the crystals, attaching them with split rings  (I scrapbook and make jewelry too).

I wanted to try something different with the shade...yes ripped apart a $1 shade for the top wire.  I spray painted some awful gold Christmas garland I found at the thrift store and added that with Dollar Tree Ribbon for that "something different".

And last but not least...this little baby (literally) cost me $4 (it still has the price tag on it!)

What to do for a shade...hmmmmm...so while I was making this (the future daughter loves music)...

I thought "Yes!  Use this paper!"  So with another $2 lamp shade (yes I buy them in bulk...hahaha)  which I did not rip apart, I folded my way to this (with a little lace I dug out of a box).


So for around $35 I gave a new life to 4 lamps that will sit on tables around the gym with pictures of the happy couple.  I am halfway there to making the lighting situation favor the mothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment