Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quick Fix to Ugly White Battery Tea Lights

So the next few months I will be planning and preparing for my son's wedding and reception on a limited budget (I do have other things I like to spend money on you know).  His future bride has only one sister here in Utah so because I LOVE projects, I am helping where I can (I do tend to get "involved").  I have been working on lighting, decorations, leis and table centerpieces (I will get to the chandeliers I redid on another post) and since we are doing the reception in our church we cannot use real candles.

So off to Hobby Lobby I go to buy their value pack of 16 tea lights (with 16 extra batteries!) for $9.99 minus the lovely 40% off from the coupon.  The only problem is that they are white (she likes "Creme or Ivory"), plastic and ugly.  I thought of painting them (spray paint...God's gift to crafters) but that seemed like such a hassle.  Then I was inspired.  PAPER!  Being a scrapbooker I had everything to do this project!

All you need (besides the paper of choice, scissors, cutter and ruler) is roll-on adhesive tape, an ink pad, and a paper punch.  Since I did not have the correct size of paper punch (one too big, one too small) I made do with what I had.  This is SO EASY!


First, measure the the side width and circumference (around) the candle.  Cut a piece of paper slightly wider and a bit longer.  Roll on your adhesive along the top side edge.  I used TomBoy.



Attach the paper.  I did not mind if the paper was a tad wider because these candles have 3 tiny legs on the bottom.  That way I have more room for error...I did not want it too narrow. 


Overlap the paper and glue down.  Walah!  The side is done.


Now here is where I had to try a few things to make the top line up.  No matter how hard I tried to put a center punch in the middle of a circle it would not line up completely.  So this is what worked for me.  I cut a piece of paper a 1/4" wider than the top of the candle (giving room for error), then punched a hole close to the middle.  I used my smaller hole punch and then when I "carefully" slide it on it will tear slightly to fit.


Slide it on carefully the WRONG WAY.


 Push the slightly torn paper down flat.


Remove the paper, apply adhesive on top, staying close to the edge.


Now put the paper back on the right way.  Turn the candle over and using sharp detail scissors, cut the excess paper off.  This way the edges line up just right.


I then used an ink pad around the edges to "age" it. 

It's done!  You could even embellish it with ribbon, jewels or whatever.  I hope you find this idea helpful for a party or wedding situation.  I did!  And though it may not be brilliant, it sure helps make my table centerpieces prettier.  Little details make a BIG difference.  Have fun!  

1 comment:

  1. What a darling idea. You must have some clever genes in your family. ;-) I'm excited to see what other crafty and brilliant ideas you are coming up with for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete